I should have been born in the South.
shannonicole.tumblr.com
twitter.com/shannonicole

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Yep... I'm going to be that mom.

In case you haven’t noticed by my constant (annoying?) tweets and tumblr updates, I am trying ever so hard to post a blog a day during the month of November alongside a group of some immensely talented writers.  The other day, Sean challenged the group to take the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator personality test and take some time to reflect on and share the results.  And surprise, most of the group all came out with the same personality type: ENFJ.
ENFJ= Extraversion, Intuition, Feeling, Judging.
I originally labeled myself an ENFJ in January of this year when I took the test with my new roommates in the Bungalow as a way to get to know each other better.  I took the test again a couple of nights ago and came up with the same results.  I’m still not sure if that’s a good thing or bad thing.
According to Wikipedia, ENFJ personality types only make up 2-5%, and are usually known as “idealists” and “teachers”.  A.k.a. bloggers?
As I looked further into our shared personality type, I came across a paragraph on ENFJ’s as parents:
Parenting, for the ENFJ, is a responsibility and a pleasure.  There are young lives just waiting to be molded by the ENFJ’s value system.  Unlike most other types, especially Perceivers, ENFJs don’t wait for a child to develop.  Instead, right and wrong, good and bad, and other models are imposed in a very warm, supportive, and clearly defined environment.  A child will know where an ENFJ parent stands on most things, and how he or she is expected to behave.  When behavior is appropriate, affirmation abounds.  Negative behavior, however, often makes an ENFJ parent feel like a failure, which in turn can give the child who picks up on these feelings a sense of guilt about failing to please mother and father.
I’m pretty sure this is exactly how I picture myself as a parent one day, and not by choice.  I figure I’ll get started on changing this now so maybe my kids will have a chance at freedom one day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment