Sunday night I sat in a Phoenix hotel room with friends as NBC news blared on the flat screen TV depicting the death of infamous terrorist Osama Bin Laden. Reactions began to pour out through social networks, ranging from celebration of justice for America, to sarcasm and jokes, to pain over our country repaying death with death.
Regardless of how we all felt, it wasn’t long before sides began to form and arguments ensued as we tweeted from our iPhones and posted updates from our laptop computers.
Had we so quickly forgotten our own loved ones’ lives lost to horrendous Southern storms this past week? Or respect for the families and friends of those lost in 9/11 whose pain was relived all over again that evening? Or those who suffer everyday from lack of basic needs to survive—needs that we love to post about from electronics that we “couldn’t survive without”.
I don’t know when we bought into the lie that justice brought about by our own hands grants peace. But, I believe peace comes from above and is extended through the compassion and companionship of those around us.
Let us not forget who we were created to be, and remember to love each other through this confusing and tumultuous time in our country. Hate only perpetuates hate, but love intensifies love.
Let’s choose the latter.
I couldn't agree more! These were some of my exact thoughts too!
ReplyDelete