I should have been born in the South.
shannonicole.tumblr.com
twitter.com/shannonicole

Sunday, May 1, 2011

And it begins.

Today is Day One of EverydayMay, a month-long commitment to writing everyday and sharing those words within a community of writers and friends.  I can’t believe it’s already been 6 months since my friend Sean first led this writing initiative last year with NovemberBlogFest.  Looking back on my November posts, there are a few that emerged from this daily forced discipline that I feel were clearly-communicated and well-written words, and many more than a few that feel like…  inadequate garbage.

To be honest, a huge part of me didn’t want to participate in EverydayMay because I wanted to focus on writing fewer things of better quality.  Then I realized the flaws in my reasoning:

1.       I have to write a lot to find the words that mean the most.  Not every single sentence I write will be mind-blowingly significant.

2.       I need a writing reality check.  As much as I want to be an articulate and enveloping writer, I’m not.  I need to practice continual discipline by writing more, reading more and learning from others.

3.       Writing is restorative; it helps me work through life in general and my relationship with God.  In this time of huge transition and new beginnings, I shouldn’t be putting limits on my words or the ones I share with others.  As Dave Ramsey says: “The immediate benefits of writing everything down are twofold. First, writing helps you process the problems and victories. The second immediate benefit of journaling is that you can reread your entry just days - even months - later and gain vital perspective on your progress.”

4.       I’m blessed to be included in this immensely-talented community of people who are willing to let their walls down this month and struggle and laugh through this together.

Here are a few of the other blogs this month to be following and encouraging:

Looking forward to sharing this month with you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment