I should have been born in the South.
shannonicole.tumblr.com
twitter.com/shannonicole

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What do you give yourself?

I woke up this morning thinking that a sleeping mask and silenced phone were the best gifts I could have given myself last night.  It’s become glaringly apparent in my usual lack of sleep, crazy emotions and time spent at the doctor that I haven’t been taking very good care of myself, and now my body and relationships are starting to take a hit.  So I’ve been thinking of ways to realign, to get back to overall spiritual/mental/physical healthiness, and be in a better place for others.

Last week I read a book called “The DNA of Relationships” by Dr. Gary Smalley (a change-your-life-read when it comes to any and all relationships) and in the chapter on Self-Care, he writes:

“When you love God with every part of your being, he fills you up to overflowing with his amazing love.  Out of that overflow, you give to others.  This is the balanced life, the only kind of life worth living.”

Every part of your being.

It’s definitely time to overflow.

Some of the things I’m working on, starting this week: Morning reads on porch swings, Monday nights off of school, one friend date a week, evening prayer time with James, yoga and sweet tea galore, and daily reminders of my value in Christ.

What are some of the gifts you give yourself to find balance in your days?

No comments:

Post a Comment